Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Here we go!

I have started this blog for a few reasons. I would say I am a pretty average and normal member of society but I think so many of us have hopes and dreams of making an impact on this world at different points of our lives and I have learned recently from attending a conference at the United Nations that there is so much power to be found in every single one of us. We all just don't realize how powerful we can be and I hope that something in the things I share can spark something within you to give you the courage and confidence to rise up and make a difference no matter how small we feel our actions may be. 

To start off I am going to tell you a little bit about myself. I am a mother to 3 wonderful children who I would choose to hang out with over anyone else in the world, any day. I think they are THAT cool! I am a wife to a very supportive husband that stands by me in everything. We have been married for 13 years and within those 13 years, we have survived being the general contractors for 4 of our own homes! After building our first home from the ground up and doing just about everything, I had considered starting a blog about all of our house building processes and our countless Do It Yourself projects but thought, "Who would really want to follow a blog about DIY stuff??" HAHA, probably should have started that bandwagon considering we were the king and queen of doing projects ourselves :)


I was raised on the beautiful prairies of Southern Alberta, Canada not far from the Canadian Rockies. I grew up in a small community and had a childhood that I wouldn't change for anything. My dad was a farmer and owned a furniture business in a nearby city while my mom stayed home and raised 5 children. We spent our summers exploring, making forts in nearby trees, riding 4-wheelers and woke up early each day in the summer to do chores so we could make it in time for the community pool to open and swam our summers away. I was able to just be a kid. I try so hard to find a balance in my own family life for my children to have the opportunities to excel in their extra curricular activities but at the same time carve out time for them to explore, create and be adventurous. I posted a video at the end of this post that shows the feelings I have every time I go home :)

I moved to the U.S. my senior year of high school. I attended Utah State University where I earned a Communications degree with an emphasis in PR. I am a country girl who loves to travel, trail run, re-create spaces in my home, read, listen to music and spend time with my family. A few random facts about me are that my mind is full of a lot of crazy facts and info. An example of this is that I can still to this day give you a full account of the events that led up to World War I and World War II that stems back to my high school social studies class. I can crush most people in a game of "name that tune" for country music from the late 80's to now (I usually have the name of the song and artist by the first few notes of a song) Crazy I know, but the songs don't leave my mind! I also clogged, took Irish dancing and played quite a few sports in high school.

I have worked for a builder over the last 5 1/2 years and helped hundreds of people go through the color selection process of their homes. I love being creative!

I have walked the streets of Rome and explored the ancient ruins of Pompeii. Sang "The Hills are Alive" from the Sound of Music in the countryside of Salzburg, Austria and have spent many summers hiking and exploring Glacier National Park, Montana (while listening to John Denver of course!)
My 4 dream vacations are:
-   Scotland and Ireland (I would be playing Celtic music on my iPod anytime I was in the countryside, no joke)
-   The Maritime Provinces in Canada
-   Bora Bora or Fiji
-   Nashville Tennessee (I would seriously be just as happy walking the streets and listening to some good ol' country music as I would be swaying in a hammock on a beach)

I typically can't watch a movie more than once two shows I can watch over and over are "Secondhand Lions"  and "Remember the Titans"

I truly love life. That is not to say life has been perfect by any means. I have had my share of ups and downs and know there are plenty more of those to come throughout the course of my life but I know that is what life is all about. The most important thing I want you to know about me is that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am a Mormon and it has brought be so much direction and joy in my life. I know that I am who I am today and can accomplish the things to come because of my faith.





No comments:

Post a Comment