Wednesday, April 15, 2015

"If the door opens, walk through."

I have recently returned home from attending the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations in New York City. This week was life changing in so many ways. If someone would have told me a year ago that I would be walking the halls of the UN and meeting with Ambassadors and Delegates from all over the world I would have looked at them in complete shock. This is a true testament that Heavenly Father has a plan for each and every one of us. I want to share with you how I ended up at the UN.

 

Last October I was enjoying a general conference weekend with my family. I cherish this time of instruction. I always love all the talks given during conference but there are always a few that really speak to me and I know that I needed to hear those messages at that time in my life. In this particular conference the talk "The Lord Has a Plan for us!"  https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/the-lord-has-a-plan-for-us?lang=eng After listening to this talk and then re-reading it multiple times, I knew that Heavenly Father wanted me to hear that talk.

A very short time later my sister called me to tell me about a girl she came in contact with that was planning a trip to the United Nations. She told me about how this wonderful woman had gone the previous year and knew she had to go back and bring an army of women with her to be an influence of the importance of motherhood and families. As soon as I heard those words I told her I was in. I honestly didn't know how I was going to do it but I knew I had to. We were right in the middle of a very busy and stressful time for our family and I felt like I was hardly managing everything that we had going on.

Over the next few months I did the best I could to study and really learn about what goes on at the UN, current events and policies that were affecting the family as well as immersed myself in the doctrine of the church on the family. At times I felt so inadequate and wondered how I would ever be able to go to a place that was run by people with far more education and experience than I could possibly have. I decided that I would do all I could on my end and eliminated things from my life that were just wasting my time and not helping me become a better person. As the time drew near for me to leave for my trip I had an experience where I knew that I was enough. I knew that I was supposed to attend the UN at this time and despite the timing being about the worst possible time for us, I went. Although I knew I was not attending with a doctorate degree from a prestigious university or many years of political or NGO experience, I had the gift of the Holy Ghost and that knowledge was far more comforting than any amount of secular education could bring me. I knew I would need to rely on the knowledge, peace, discernment and remembrance that the Holy Ghost could give me throughout the entire trip.


While our group of almost 30 women who came from all over the continent were there, we had the opportunity to spend time and learn from a woman by the name of Susan Roylance. This woman is a hero when it comes to defending the family. She has written multiple books and very important resource materials that are being used by government officials throughout the world when dealing with policies that affect the family. In one of our meetings she made a comment that will stay with me forever. Susan made the comment to us, "If the door opens, walk through." I truly believe that is the first step in someone being able to make a difference in their life and the life others whether that difference be locally or globally. Heavenly Father opens doors all around us, it is up to us to take the step of walking through that door to see what He has in store for us.  

1 comment:

  1. So perfect Mandy! I'm in awe at your strength! Way to do what you know is right even when it seems hard or impossible! Seriously, I look up to you so much!

    ReplyDelete